What is in Okra:
Okras are also known as “ladies fingers”. It has been long favored for the health-conscious as it contains potassium, vitamins b&c, folic acid, calcium and is also high in dietary fiber.
Okra health benefits:
- Assist in regulating blood sugar.
- Boost immune system.
- Improve digestion.
- Lowers cholesterol.
- Promote Healthy skin.
Jamaican Okra Punch RecipeCourse: Jamaican RecipesCuisine: Jamaican DrinkDifficulty: Easy
Jamaican Okra punch is a healthy tasty common drink in Jamaica. Feel free to substitute the supligen (only if you can not find it) mention in the recipe with vanilla milk
8 boiled okras
¼ cup oats
¼ cup Vanilla flavored supligen
¼ cup condensed milk
½ cup stoute of choice (Dragon/Guinness)
1 tbsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/3 cup Sugar (optional)
1/3 cup Rum (optional)
- Prepare Okras
- Ensure your okras are NOT hard, the smaller Okras are best. Cut off the tops and discard.
- Start Cooking
- Wash your prepared okras, and put them in a saucepan with 2 cups of water. Let boil for approximately 7 minutes or until the okra is tender. Turn off the heat and allow it to cool DO NOT throw off liquid.
- Place cool boiled okras with liquid in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients except the condensed milk and rum (optional). Blend for another 5 mins.
- Pour into pitcher and sweeten with condensed milk and add rum (optional).
- Place in the refrigerator to chill and serve. Cheers!