Jamaican Curry Chicken RecipeCourse: Jamaican RecipesCuisine: JamaicanDifficulty: Easy
This Jamaican Curry Chicken recipe was introduced by our Indian influence, this dish is loved by all Jamaicans. Curry is a bright yellow spice that we love made from dried grounded turmeric infused with other spices. Jamaican Curried Chicken goes well with any side dish whether it’s boiled dumplings, roasted breadfruit, roti, or white rice to name a few. Curry can be used on any meat to add a special flavor. Jamaicans would eat curry for any meal of the day. Currying is done through the process of stewing.
Jamaican CUrry CHicken Ingredients
2 lbs fresh chicken
1 cup water or coconut milk
1 tbs black pepper
¼ cooking oil (vegetable or coconut)
1 onion chopped
1 Stalk escallion or chives
2 sprig of thyme
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 tbsp ginger finely chopped
¼ cup bell peppers (red and green)
1 scotch bonnet pepper chopped (optional).
- For thicker gravy
2 tbs all-purpose flour
4 tbs water
Jamaican Curry Chicken Directions
- Prep your chicken
- Cut the chicken into small pieces (allows faster cooking).
- Wash in vinegar or lime juice under running water then drain.
- Add salt and black pepper along with curry powder then combine with a wooden spoon or your hand. No need to marinate the chicken.
- Start Cooking
- Place saucepan or Jamaican Dutch pot is also known as dutchie on medium heat stove adding the cooking oil.
- Burning the Jamaican curry:- this is actually the process where we release the flavor of the curry by adding a ⅓-¼ cup of curry powder, ginger, and garlic to the oil to fry stirring continuously with a wooden spoon. Max 3 mins, DO NOT let the curry BURN.
- Add the seasoned chicken to the pot remembering to stir and blend the curry and chicken together then cover the pot with its lid. Stir at intervals for 20 mins.
- Add remaining ingredients including water or coconut milk excluding the bell peppers. Use the scotch bonnet pepper if you enjoy spicy food, it’s pretty hot. Allow another 10 mins remember to stir at intervals.
- Add bell peppers. If you wish to thicken your gravy mix 2 tbs of all-purpose flour with 4 tbs water then stir this in to add a little body to your gravy. Allow 5 mins.
- Guess what after 5 mins turn off your stove your meal is ready. Serve with any side dish of your choice and get it while it’s nice and hot!!