Jamaican Dumpling Festival Recipe With a Touch of LoveCuisine: SnackDifficulty: Easy
2 – 4servings
This festival Caribbean food also known as fried dough is comfort food every Jamaicans love no matter the meal of the day with just about any meat or fish. It is very simple and easy to prepare and is somewhat considered a staple in the Caribbean island Jamaica.
Jamaican festival dumplings have been named by many as fried bread, fritters, fried dumplings, Jamaican fried dough, etc. Mainly served with jerk dishes…coming soon.
Jamaican Festival Ingredients
2 cups cornmeal
1 ¼ cup self-raising flour
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup Sugar (granulated or brown)
1 tablespoon margarine
½ cup milk (unflavored) provides fluffier festivals
2 cups neutral cooking oil (of choice)
- Combine flour, salt, sugar, cornmeal in a bowl; evenly combine using hands or a wooden spoon.
- Add margarine in pieces. Then gradually add in the milk. Remember you can either use your hands or a wooden spoon to form a firm dough. If too soft you can add a little bit more flour.
- Place a frying pan on medium heat with oil.
- Pinch dough into approximately 11 portions
- Roll dough in the palm of your hands one at a time and place them on a plate.
- After 5 mins oil should be hot enough so add your festival dough one at a time.
Do not crowd the pot, the festival will expand!
- Reduce heat to Medium-Low to avoid burning.
- Ensure you turn festivals to allow all sides to be golden brown.
- Remove from heat and enjoy hot with any meat or fish dish of your choice!